Ski Holiday Insurance
A couple of years ago we went skiing and arrived in the resort without specialist ski holiday insurance. We had the standard holiday cover provided by my bank as an extra on the account, but nothing specialist.
For some reason, on the afternoon that we arrived, I got online and decided to top up the standard insurance cover with more specialist Winter Sports cover, and duly arrange a policy with Tesco. It was just a case of ticking a simple box on their website and paying the premium.
The next day, on the first day of the holiday, my wife fell awkwardly on her wrist and was in quite a bit of pain. we spent the rest of that day at the local clinic having numerous X-rays and a degree of painful prodding and probing. The End result was that the doctor recommended that she should rest the wrist for the next 4 weeks and not take part in any strenuous sports – skiing most definitely included.
Because we had taken out the addition Winter Sports cover however, not only were the not inconsiderable medical expenses refunded, but also a very large proportion of the cost of her lift pass, ski hire and skiing lessons. Whilst the initial cover seemed perhaps a little expensive at the time, it was worth every penny and I’ll definitely be taking out similar cover again on future trips.
There are several insurers who offer specialist Winter Sports holiday cover and are well worth checking out for quotes, cover and the limits placed on recoverable costs. Some worth trying are given below:
Coverwise offer specialist Winter Sports Insurance and give the following reasons why you should choose their cover.
- On and off-piste activities including heli-skiing and parapenting
- Mountain search and rescue expenses and helicopter evacuation costs
- Piste closure
- Ski and snowboard hire
- Medical treatment and repatriation to the UK
- Damaged, lost and stolen ski equipment
- The loss of your ski pass
- Physiotherapy on your return home (Silver, Gold and Platinum policies)
Columbus Direct is another company which offers specialist Winter Sports insurance cover. Again, their cover seems to be pretty comprehensive and also covers pre-existing medical conditions.
- Comprehensive standard travel insurance – includes all the benefits of our single trip policy.
- Cover for your skis and winter sports equipment against loss, theft or damage, even hired kit.
- Winter sports pack – if you are unable to use your ski pass or attend pre-booked ski lessons due to an accident or illness, you’ll be compensated.
- Cover for piste closure due to weather conditions or lack of snow.
- Reimbursement for any delays caused by an avalanche.
- If you are a Gold Cover customer and sustain an injury on the slopes, you could benefit from physiotherapy performed back in the UK.
- Optional cover can be provided for Search and Rescue if required.
- Pre-existing medical cover is available.
JS Travel Insurance
JS Travel Insurance cover a great range of sporting activities including skiing, snowboarding and a host of other winter sports and activities. Once more most aspects of the winter holiday are covered. Their reasons for booking with them are given below:
Mountain Rescue and Air Ambulance
- JS Travel Insurance provides cover for any necessary costs you incur from a specialist local rescue organisation for rescue and emergency transfer to a hospital in the event of an accident whilst you are taking part in Winter Sports.
- Mountain Rescue and Air Ambulance costs are covered for a period not exceeding 72 hours from the time in which assistance is first summoned.
- Winter Sports holidays are becoming more and more popular and it is important that you have comprehensive cover for the trip. This should include Medical and Repatriation cover as well as rescue and air ambulance from the slopes. It is also important that your ski or snowboard equipment is covered for loss or theft, even if you do not own the equipment but have hired them for the duration of the holiday.
- A standard Travel Insurance policy is unlikely to cover you for Winter Sports, as it is a common exclusion.
- Most Winter Sports activities, such as Tobogganing, and Heli Skiing can be included on the policy or added after you have left and you have decided, you might want to have a go and try a new activity.
Obviously there are many other travel insurance companies who will have specialised insurance for winter sports holidays and it may well be worth checking your current preferred travel insurance supplier for a quote.